Whether you like it or not, your appearance affects your professional success more than you might think. What you wear, how you look, and how you act are all factors that influence people’s perception of you. When people regard you as trustworthy, intelligent, and self-assured, they’re more likely to think you’re suitable for the job. The following are some simple tips to help you make a great first impression during your job interview:
- Make sure you’re well-groomed. Style your hair, brush your teeth, press your clothes, cut your nails, shine your shoes, and apply minimal fragrance. Go the extra mile by getting your hair professionally done or availing of teeth bleaching services to ensure you’ve got bright white teeth.
- Keep it simple. You don’t want to distract your potential employers during an interview. It should be all about you and what you have to offer. That being said, don’t wear too much jewelry or too much fragrance. Make sure to cover up any visible tattoos and body or facial piercings.
- Research the dress code. Dressing in formal business attire is the safest way to go, but it doesn’t hurt to look up the company’s dress code first. You might come off as too stuffy if it turns out the dress code is more laid-back and casual.
Tips for Men
- Opt for a tailored two-piece business suit. You can’t go wrong with a snappy well-fitted two-piece business suit in navy, grey, or charcoal. You can opt for other colors, but just make sure they aren’t too loud or garish.
- Match your belt color to your shoes. This is a great tip to keep things visually uniform and neat. Polished black and brown dress shoes are foolproof options for footwear.
- Choose the perfect silk tie. A silk tie is the cherry on top of a good look. Avoid distracting patterns and colors. As a general rule, your tie should be in the same color scheme as your suit jacket and pants, but it should contrast with your shirt’s color.
- Wear a well-fitted shirt. The shirt under your jacket should be fit well, not too tight and not too loose with sleeves that reach up to your wrist. Its color should contrast with your suit jacket, pants, and tie.
- Socks should reach your calf. Avoid wearing socks that are too short and expose your skin when you cross your legs or move around. It’s recommended that your socks should be at least calf-length or above your calf.
Tips for Women
- Wear plain pantyhose. If you’re wearing a skirt, make sure to wear a neutral-toned unpatterned pantyhose that flatters your skin color. Don’t forget to keep an extra pair with you in case of emergencies.
- Go for a no-makeup look. Save your bold lip colors for another day and apply natural-looking makeup instead. A little blush, concealer, lip balm, and mascara can go a long way.
- Keep skirts at knee-length. You can go slightly shorter, but not above the skirt or longer but not below the middle of the calf.
- Avoid ill-fitting blouses. Make sure that your tops aren’t too tight and that they have a conservative neckline. You’ll also want to avoid transparent blouses and short sleeve tops.
The key to success during a professional job interview is how you present yourself. These proven tips are guaranteed to make you stand out as a hirable employee.